POSTED 22 MAR 2021
Data, Analytics & Insight • Permanent (Full Time)
We’re looking for an Econometrician to join our Business Science team and help deliver marketing analytics projects for some of our UK and global clients.
As the Econometrician you will work across all areas of an econometric projects - mostly focussing on Market Mix Modelling. This will involve the initial project design and set up, managing the data collection, the modelling work, identifying key insights and writing the presentation debrief. You will have the opportunity to working closely with clients and various account groups within the agency, helping to action our findings.
Who does the role report into?
This role reports to the Business Science Manager or Associate Director.
What are the 3 best things about the job?
- You’ll be part of Business Science team, a team of 45+ working closely with media teams across the agency to provide actionable solutions and accountability to support key business decisions and increase marketing effectiveness for our clients.
- You will deliver market leading marketing analytics for your clients, watching your insights and recommendations make a real difference to their business.
- You will benefit from our extensive training programme, covering the range of analytical tools and techniques.
What are the measures of success?
- Full responsibility for data processing on own projects
- Be responsible for the processing of data to be used in analysis, ensuring appropriate error checks are in place
- Take responsibility for querying data with data providers and escalating to line manager if needed
- Once processed and checked, store it in a clear, logical and appropriate place
- Start to identify and implement ways we can automate data processes, using R
- Supporting the team in client analysis
- Identify important trends in the data used and suggest hypotheses of impacts
- Summarise this for internal stakeholders, highlighting key takeout’s
- Responsible for updating existing Eviews work files, or building them if new eviews files are needed, with minimal manager support
- Update existing models with additional data with minimal manager support
- Generate new models with support from your line manager
- Produce technically sound and intuitive models, with minimal support from manager
- Be able to clearly explain and justify all the variables in the models
- Know when to balance statistical robustness with intuitive sense
- Create and interpret curves and understand how they are used for optimisation, with manager support
- Update Comms Tracker with support from line manager
- Efficient use of all macros within Eviews
- Suggest insights from model results
- Support reporting of client analysis
- Produce sections of a client presentations as requested and begin to suggest new content
- Generate the data and charts required to populate a presentation, fully formatted, with data checked
- Write storytelling, insight led headlines
- Check for errors or inconsistencies in the results. Highlight to line manager and resolve
- Confidently and clearly present sections of a presentation to the client and to internal teams
- Play an active role in client meetings, following discussion, taking notes/actions and contributing where relevant
- Be responsible for compiling and distributing contact reports after client meetings and for following up on all actions
- Be responsible for all project wrap up information e.g. providing case studies and updating Benchmarks system
- Gain presenting experience by presenting in team meetings or Bring Your Tea sessions
- Supporting colleagues, wider teams and building relationships
- Respond to ad-hoc requests from planners, as directed by manager
- Build and maintain relationships with the internal client teams
- Share case studies with agency and colleagues when requested
- Business Science knowledge
- Ability to explain each tool in the Business Science Toolbox
- Continue to increase media knowledge and intuition
- Keep up to date with developments in modelling for other clients and across the wider industry
- Provide basic guidance for Graduate Econometricians in the team
What would you expect to achieve in the first 3 months?
- Gained a full and thorough understanding of your clients’ projects, particularly data sources and structure
- Established data processing and checking routines on your client’s projects
- Gained a full understanding of project deliverables and contributed to data validation and client analysis reporting at various stages of the project
What will you need?
- An understanding/education equivalent to that obtained via a degree in Economics, Maths or Statistics is required to be able to perform the role
- Practical work experience of time series econometrics in the media or marketing industry
- The ability to convert analysis into real world actionable solutions
- Client-facing skills, with the ability to explain complex analysis in simple terms
- Knowledge of Excel, common econometrics packages and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Market Mix Modelling is essential
- Knowledge of Eviews, VBA, R and other programming languages
At MediaCom, we believe in People First, Better Results.
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees based in 5 offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
As a business, we champion individuality and diversity in our people. Through a plethora of initiatives, we ensure that we attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry, all working together to create powerful, ground-breaking work through our unique, connected Systems Thinking approach. Our teams use data, technology and creativity to design communications strategies that build brands and generate sales, and we do it at scale. We believe that putting people first produces better results.
We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training, development plans and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. These include Sky, British Gas, Sony, Vauxhall, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company and Tesco.
MediaCom is Campaign’s Agency of the Decade (2009 and 2019), and WARC’s most effective agency in the world.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*