POSTED 11 MARS 2021
Data, Analytics & Insight • Permanent (Full Time)
Qualitative Research Manager
We are looking for a Research Manager to work within our qualitative research team. Real World Insight (RWI) is a 14-people strong, award-winning research and insight team within MediaCom. As a Research Manager, you will play a key part in our team, supporting senior staff, overseeing the work of junior team members and working with planners and clients alike to ensure that their campaigns are grounded in a true understanding of people and what makes them tick.
The role presents the opportunity to work across a range of clients from different sectors, for example Tesco and the Army.
You will have day to day responsibility for managing one to two people.
Who does the role report into?
This role reports to the Head of Qualitative Research.
What are the three best things about the job?
- Variety – No two days are ever the same – you will be working across a range of different clients, categories, and objectives. We encourage the use of innovative techniques and approaches so you will be up to date about developments in qual research and have an understanding when to employ them. As such you have a real opportunity to try something different and bring some new thinking to our work
You will have the opportunity to work on paid client projects as well as supporting the agency in putting insight at the heart of their work and working on insights to feed into MediaCom new business.
- Accountability – As Research Manager you are responsible supporting our Head of Qualitative in our qual offering and output, as well as supporting and mentoring junior team members
- The people – MediaCom is a brilliant place to work, with a people first culture. You’ll get to work with smart people from across the agency and will be responsible for the helping with the development and careers of some very talented and ambitious researchers.
What would you expect to achieve in the first three months?
In three months, you would have:
• Gained an understanding of how the agency operates, how RWI’s work fits in and what role qualitative research plays in this
• Supported the team both in delivering insightful and impactful research that helps drive our clients’ business
• Started to establish strong relationships with planners, clients, and key agency stakeholders
In six months, you would have:
• Established yourself in the wider Real World Insight team – inspiring confidence and trust in your colleagues and making your mark on the qualitative output
• Been involved in generating insights for new business pitches and had key involvement in the pitch team
In 12 months, you would have:
•Become a go to person for planners and other external stakeholders
What will you need?
- A proven track record and expertise in qualitative research
- Strategic thinking, entrepreneurial ability to spot and drive new opportunities for revenue generation or thought leadership
- Excellent communication skills – able to present complex ideas in a clear and engaging way
- Client management skills
- An appreciation of quantitative research and how qual and quant research work together
- Whilst direct experience of media and comms research is not necessary, a passion for media, communication and brands is a must
At MediaCom, we believe in People First, Better Results.
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees based in 5 offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
As a business, we champion individuality and diversity in our people. Through a plethora of initiatives, we ensure that we attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry, all working together to create powerful, ground-breaking work through our unique, connected Systems Thinking approach. Our teams use data, technology and creativity to design communications strategies that build brands and generate sales, and we do it at scale. We believe that putting people first produces better results.
We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training, development plans and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. These include Sky, British Gas, Sony, Vauxhall, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company and Tesco.
MediaCom is Campaign’s Agency of the Decade (2009 and 2019), and WARC’s most effective agency in the world.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*