POSTED 21 FEB. 2021
MediaCom - Media Planning, Implementation & Activation • Media Planning • Full-Time
The Role Objective
The Planning Associate Director is primarily responsible for developing consistent, high quality plan recommendations for Client's business, through a deep understanding of the category & brand challenges. This role will be focused on turning business objectives into communications objectives and defining clear KPIs for measurement, and driving innovation that is founded in clear audience insight.
This is a leadership role, supporting the client lead in managing client relationships and internal team members.
- Plan, develop, present and lead execution of integrated media campaigns in multiple channels including TVC, OOH and digital media
- Maintain strong relationship with key Japan media partners and lead negotiations to get best possible output and value for client
- Client facing and work closely with other agency teams to establish and achieve specific media goals and objectives
- Provide insight and analysis to the client lead to support the development of data driven strategic recommendations for the client
- Understand and apply global planning principle to local market context
Client Account Management
- Develop strong relationships with clients, be their go to person for Planning expertise
- Work with wider teams (including performance marketing, biddable and programmatic) to ensure regular reporting that serves the client’s needs.
- Lead on relevant part of client meetings, QBRs, etc.
- Keep client lead up to date on best practices and industry trends
Operating and Technical Requirements
- Data oriented, able to navigate various platforms to query and generate necessary reports on competitive spends, consumer behavior, relevant category data and campaign performance
- Review consumer insight and competitive reports interpretation and key learnings (aggregate and integrate research data in the plans)
- Use MediaCom’s planning tool - The System and encourages uptake within wider MediaCom
- Work collaboratively with the client lead to develop the capability, skills and knowledge of our team.
- Mentor and provide direction to team members.
- Provide regular feedback (both positive and constructive) to the team on a regular basis.
- Participate in workshops, training sessions and team building events.
- Deliver best practice day to day project management.
- Demonstrate a business sense and a commercial understanding of profitability.
- Financial control of client’s business in conjunction with Account Manager (payments, invoices, reconciliations, PO tracking etc.)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the media and technology developments that influence performance planning and clients’ business.
- Be an advocate of continuous improvement, enthusiastic and positive with a “Can Do” attitude Flags up any serious performance issues immediately and seek help to manage them accordingly
Key Performance Indicators:
- Product: outstanding plan execution & operational excellence. KPI TBC
- Client: satisfaction, retention and growth, contributing to a high score for strategy and activation planning in agency evaluation. KPI TRR score
- Commercial: client profitability. KPI Client Profitability target
- Personal development: positive My360 feedback from manager, peers and clients.
Education, skills and behaviours
- 6+ years of senior experience on a similar role
- Bilingual preferred; Japanese and English; with fluency in one language and basic / business communication skills in the other.
- Proven track record in the relevant sector with category management experience
- Evidence of being able to influence and manage senior client stakeholders (media managers, marketing directors and country heads)
- Strong analytical skills to identify consumer journey planning
- Strong target orientation e.g. very results driven, ability to work effectively to targets
- Strong customer relationship management experience and proven ability in developing senior customer stakeholder relationships
- Evidence of strong collaboration skills used to develop team and client knowledge in order to grow shared understanding and knowledge to facilitate a step-change in strategic planning
- The ability to delegate, up and downwards, to coordinate between groups and departments and to be able to sell strategies, initiatives and ideas convincingly
More about MediaCom
Hello. We are MediaCom.
We believe in People First, Better Results.
MediaCom unleashes brands’ growth by helping them See the Bigger Picture. This means that we apply our unique ‘Systems Thinking’ philosophy and technology to all marketing levers: media, message and data. As a result, we design communication strategies that deliver short term results and help brands build for the future.
As part of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm, we have access to the richest data, most robust benchmarks and most advanced capabilities in the market. This helps us provide comprehensive solutions to all marketing challenges.
Our success is underpinned by our long-standing ‘People First, Better Results’ belief. We know that by investing in our people’s whole-person wellbeing, careers and capabilities, we will help grow our Clients’ businesses.
In 2020 this approach led MediaCom to be crowned Global Media Network of the Year by Eurobest and Festival of Media Global, in addition to being the most awarded agency at the WARC Media Awards.
MediaCom is one of the world’s leading media communications specialists, with billings of US$17.6 billion (Source: COMvergence, 2020), employing 8,000 people in 125 offices across 100 countries. Its global Client roster includes adidas, Coca-Cola (TCCC), Dell, Groupe PSA, Hasbro, Mars, NBC Universal, P&G, Richemont, Shell, Sony, Uber and Walgreens Boots Alliance
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.com
Japan is both the world’s third-largest media market and third-largest e-commerce market. As one of the first markets to develop a full mobile e-commerce ecosystem circa 2001 to 2002, Japanese digital consumers are experienced and discerning; digital marketing campaigns are sophisticated, multi-layered labor of love. While growth is lower in this mature market, e-commerce is projected to increase by 12% in 2016, 11% in 2017 – emerging technologies are driving substantial growth. Programmatic spend across all devices has seen a 156% increase between 2012 and now, with mobile Programmatic spend expected to grow 174% between now and 2017. If you want to excel in a mature, refined media advertising atmosphere and reach savvy consumers with equally-savvy media plans, Japan is the place to be.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global Clients we work with.