POSTED 27 OCT 2020
Buying, Trading & Investment • Permanent (Full Time)
MediaCom AV Associate Director – PSA, Vauxhall, Muller, Akzo Nobel
Overview of the job
MediaCom handles the media planning and buying for some of the world's smartest advertisers. Supported by keen consumer insight, analysis and experience, we are part of the largest media planning and buying network in the world.
We are the only agency to simultaneously hold the title of Agency Network of the Year across all 5 of the industry’s biggest awards. To add to that, MediaCom London was named the Number 1 agency in the world in the 2018 Gunn 100 report. MediaCom UK also recently won Media Agency of the decade for the second time in a row!
We’re looking for a natural leader who wants to help us push this further! We need an Implementational Planning / Investment Associate Director who can run a dedicated team of media specialist, across all AV channels, including TV, Online Video, Addressable TV, OOH TV, Cinema and Radio for some of the UK’s biggest and most forward-thinking advertisers – PSA, Vauxhall, Muller and Akzo Nobel, among others
Reporting of the role
This role is one of three Associate Director roles within one of MediaCom’s internal Business Units. Each of the ADs will report to Andy Monks (AV Planning Partner) and will work together to help run one of the largest AV Planning teams in the agency.
Although PSA, Vauxhall, Muller and Akzo Nobel will be the key clients, we need an AD who will be able to work collaboratively to develop the team who work across all clients within the group. These include TUI, Bayer, KR Media and Duracell amongst others.
3 best things about the job:
- MediaCom’s strength has always been our people. This team really reflects that. We’re a tight team working to deliver great data-led work to our clients
- A widely varied client base makes for a great place to grow your career as it gives everyone in the team a real breadth of experience
- Unlimited supply of chocolate! (courtesy of Mars – one of the group’s other clients)
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Built a strong working relationship with the other AV Planning and Investment Ads and Directors within the group. This will be key – you will be pivotal in creating the right environment for all our planner-buyers to develop, grow and create great work
- Built strong working relationships with all key stakeholders internally and externally – this includes key client contacts, Comms Planners and Investment Leads within our Business Unit
- Gained a good understanding of the client businesses which you will oversee
- Overseen the delivery of all AV plans and responses on time and without errors
- Have a solid grasp of all the commercial aspects of your role (clients’ businesses and ours)
In six months, you would have:
- Implemented a robust test and learn framework for relevant clients in the group to show how our AV planning and buying is pushing their businesses forward (beyond just media metrics)
- Started to demonstrate to your clients an improvement in key business performance metrics
In 12 months, you would have:
- Delivered stable or improving client referral scores on all your client businesses
- Nurtured a happy and motivated team of AV specialist who have a vision for how their careers can grow
- Delivered demonstrable revenue growth within your group of clients
- Been shortlisted for / won an award for AV excellence on one or more of your clients
Responsibilities of the role:
Reporting into the Partner you will be responsible for managing your client patch, developing your direct team and working with the other ADs in the Unit to manage the shape of the team, provide leadership and direction for each of the AV planners in the team.
The Video Associate Director has responsibility for both the development and quality of output for every member of their team. They must ensure that the team is motivated, challenged and given the right opportunities to develop their video and multimedia knowledge – understanding the role of all video channels, how they interlink and the role that they can play in a wider multimedia system. A key part of this is regular, honest and structured feedback about every element of their behaviour and performance. You are responsible for their personal development and progression, working with the AV Director.
As Associate Director you will be responsible for all aspects of a group or piece of business. It requires a combination of leadership, communication skills, excellence in video media and multimedia understanding. Implementation Associate Directors are true multimedia specialists, connecting different media channels in a holistic way.
The Associate Director will be responsible for owning the client relationship when it comes to video. They will be viewed by the client as a video expert who has an authoritative opinion on both their plans and the wider media market. It is their responsibility to ensure that clients receive market leading levels of service and implementational output. This means that they are accountable for ensuring responses are integrated across all media, have fully justified Implementation stories and are delivering on the KPIs’ set by Planning.
The AD also works with clients and Business Directors to uncover business opportunities that exist outside of – or in conjunction with – ongoing media planning/buying activity. With a video-specific focus, the AD aims to work with and improve the connected system planning process by uncovering new and innovative areas for clients to focus on.
Client education and thought leadership is a core part of the role: developing a deep understanding of your clients’ business objectives and problems will be essential.
What you will need:
- Multi-media understanding and 360 video knowledge (all channels)
- Knowledge of industry media planning tools (all media e.g. Techedge, BARB, Media Ocean, TGI, NRS, Comscore, Rajar, Postar)
- Implementational knowledge of multi media planning tools (TGI, Media Multiplier, Touchpoints)
- Pro-actively forge relationships with media owners
- Commercially aware
- Ability to extract and filter relevant insights / research to support planning decisions
- Ability to tell compelling implementation stories (with the aim to interweave roles, flighting, weights, formats of different media and how they interrelate)
- Strong personal relationships
- Ability to sell (consultative selling)
- Good communicator
- Genuine interest in industry research and new ways of working
- Strives to deliver award winning work and industry leading innovation
- Understanding of brands and ability to understand and execute strategy
- Good leadership skills and talent management
- Excellent presentation skills
- Positive drive for innovation
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, Coca-Cola, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en