POSTED 14 JAN 2021
Data, Analytics & Insight • FTC (Full Time)
MediaCom – Real World Insight – Senior Research Manager (7 month FTC)
Overview of job
We are looking for a Senior Research Manager to work within our quantitative research team. Real World Insight (RWI) is a 14-people strong, award-winning research and insight team within MediaCom. As a Senior Research Manager, you will play a key part in our team, supporting senior staff, overseeing the work of junior team members and working with planners and clients alike to ensure that their campaigns are grounded in a true understanding of people and what makes them tick.
Responsible for taking the lead on writing proposals and delivering research projects that demonstrate your strategic thinking, with minimal support from senior staff. The role presents the opportunity to work across a range of clients from different sectors, for example Sky, Tesco, Kwik Fit, the Army and Hasbro.
Three best things about the job:
- Variety – no two days are ever the same: you will be working across a range of different clients, categories and research objectives (e.g. audience understanding, campaign measurement, brand and ad tracking). You will have the opportunity to work on paid client projects as well as supporting the agency in putting insight at the heart of their work and working on insights to feed into MediaCom new business.
- Autonomy – as Senior Research Manager you will take the lead in designing the optimum research approach. We encourage the use of innovative techniques and approaches, so you have a real opportunity to try something different and bring some new thinking to our work.
- The people – MediaCom is a brilliant place to work, with a people first culture. You’ll get to build close working relationships with the client planning teams, working with them to develop actionable recommendations from the research and next steps for the client
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Gained an understanding of how the agency operates, how RWI’s work fits in and what role research and insight plays in this
- Taken the lead on running client projects
In six months, you would have:
- Designed and delivered story-led, actionable debriefs to MediaCom clients
- Integrated other data sources into your research findings
- Taken the lead on writing larger proposals
- Established relationships with planners, key agency stakeholders, clients and suppliers
- Developed a good understanding of our suite of syndicated and desktop insight tools (e.g. TGI, YouGov Brand Index & Profiles, BrandZ, TouchPoints etc)
In 12 months, you would have:
- Introduced new ways of working to improve our team’s work
- Supported management in the development of the wider team in terms of training, mentoring and coaching
Responsibilities of the role:
- Working with planners to identify opportunities and designing the optimum research approach
- Overseeing projects with minimal support from senior staff
- Working independently/leading on analysis to find the story within the data, with a focus on actionable insights and the ‘so what’
- Ensure projects are run to timescale and within budget
- Develop a holistic understanding of MediaCom’s suite of syndicated and bespoke tools and work with the team to promote these within the agency
- Develop strong relationships with suppliers, planners and clients
- Help to develop new techniques / ways of thinking and sell this into clients
- Coach and mentor junior members of the team to support their development
What you will need:
- Self-motivated; an ambition to make the ordinary extraordinary. To be passionate about all things Insight!
- A problem-solving mindset
- Calm under pressure, reliable and organised
- Curious and ability to bring the new and different to your work
- Good knowledge of different quantitative research methods
- Some knowledge of qualitative research and how qual and quant research work together
- Strong analysis skills, working with data sets to find a clear and compelling story that clearly answers the client’s research objectives
- High level of attention to detail – responsible for delivering outputs that are ‘client ready’
- Excellent communications skills – ability to present complex ideas in a clear and engaging way
- An ability to prioritise and delegate, as well as manage both up and down
- Whilst direct experience of media and comms research is not necessary, a passion for media, communication and brands is a must
Some experience of working with social and behavioural data or a keen interest to learn in these areas
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. In addition to the TED client roster its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, Direct Line Group, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
In June 2018 Mediacom went through a restructure that resulted in the agency being put into seven Business Units made up of billings between £100m-£250m, consisting of a mix of different sized accounts. Within these Business Units there are a range of teams from buying (marketplace), implementation planning (connect) and planning. This reorganisation has helped to improve service to clients by becoming more agile and integrated, made it easier for everyone to do their jobs and has given people more opportunity to learn different skills and grow their career.
MediaCom was named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade and received top marks in its 2016 School Report. MediaCom also won Agency of the Year at the Media Week Awards 2018.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en