POSTED 15 FEB 2021
IT & Technology • Permanent (Full Time)
BI Visualisation Engineer
The Systems Tech Team
Systems Tech are MediaCom’s Data and Technology experts transforming MediaCom into the agency of the future. Technology is a key enabler for MediaCom, helping reduce costs and create new products that drive revenue and business growth. Systems Tech are a global team of technology consultants, project managers, business analysts, data engineers, software engineers and data visualisation experts delivering technology solutions with the business.
The System Tech mission is to:
- Deliver specialist technology products that enhance our Client’s business.
- Transform data into meaningful information to enable Clients and staff to make informed decisions.
- Implement technology to improve the way MediaCom works for our staff and Clients.
Systems Tech provide technology expertise and project management to create solutions for MediaCom. The team’s responsibilities range from automating a small-scale data transformation process, to save time for our Client teams, to building large scale strategic platform and product implementations for media planning optimisation to creative analytics to ecommerce audit.
The Systems Tech team drive data platform innovation to create exceptional global, regional and local market dashboards to enable our staff and our Clients to have the data needed to make the right decisions at the right time.
The team also work in partnership with GroupM and WPP, participating in and leading steering groups centred around the technology strategy to provide the MediaCom voice to steer the new Planning, Audience, Activation and Reporting platforms planned for 2021 and the future.
BI Visualisation Engineer
BI Engineering Director
Travel to the office will be required on a regular basis
Summary of the Role
As a BI visualisation engineer, you will be building and maintaining BI dashboards that provide insight and value to our global Clients. The dashboards will have a strong focus on storytelling through engaging visualisations that will make large, complex datasets easy to read, interpret and derive insight from by the end user.
You will work closely with the Systems Tech project managers to evaluate the BI dashboard requirements from our global Client stakeholders and help turn them into an actionable plan that you can then deliver in production.
You will then work in close collaboration with the BI database engineers to interpret the data as extracted from the Client’s data sources and create the underlying data models necessary to fuel the dashboards.
You will assume the role of the resident go-to expert for all matters related to the visualisation component of the dashboard, helping solve any challenges that directly impact the user’s experience.
Finally, you will thrive as part of a tight-knit community of BI visualisation engineers, led by the BI engineering director, who will meet regularly to discuss new features, tools, and techniques. You will contribute to an ongoing effort to improve the team’s visualisation offering, which will in turn benefit your own knowledge and development as well as shaping the team’s overall impact.
Objectives of the Role
- Craft visualisations which meet and exceed our Clients’ expectations using industry-standard BI tools such as PowerBI, Tableau or Datorama, ensuring they are both visually beautiful and accurate.
- Maintain the dashboards, implementing changes where necessary and escalating issues to technical teams and project stakeholders.
- Use Power Query or similar tools to perform basic transformations on datasets from a wide variety of sources (from SQL databases to the flat Excel spreadsheets) and make them ready to visualise.
- Perform deep-dive analyses on complex datasets to solve data challenges.
- Contribute to efforts from the broader data team (including the BI data engineers and data operations) to improve data quality, including but not limited to the automation of processes.
- Regularly document your work for the benefit of the team.
- Work with our project managers and Client teams to understand the brief and determine the business requirements, communicating clearly and often to manage expectations.
- Be able to explain the meaningful application of data in your visuals to both technical and non-technical business users.
- Work with our BI data engineers to translate Client business visualisation requirements into data models.
- Be the resident expert to the Client teams on all dashboard user matters, including but not limited to training end users, managing user access, addressing dashboard queries, and promoting dashboard and visualisation best practice.
- Work hand-in-hand with your global colleagues in Systems Tech to champion best practice when it comes to the development, implementation and maintenance of the BI dashboard tools.
- Work with the BI engineering director and fellow BI visualisation engineers to observe and champion a product roadmap, so we can remain at the forefront of BI product development in the industry.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Highly developed spreadsheet skills
- Familiarity in one or more of the following: PowerBI, Datorama, Tableau, QlikView or similar BI platforms
- An understanding of UX and UI
- A fondness for data, data analytics and data visualisation
- Familiarity with database modelling and data warehousing principles
- Familiarity with the Agile methodology in project work
- An understanding of digital advertising and the role of data in it
- A passion for learning and sharing
- Strong analytical and numerical problem-solving ability
- The ability to propose new solutions to old problems
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Expertise in one or more of the following: PowerBI, Datorama, Tableau, QlikView or similar BI platforms
- Experience of having used querying languages such as Data Analysis Expressions (DAX), SQL or similar
- Experience working within the media industry, particularly on digital advertising campaigns (programmatic buying, paid social, paid search, etc.)