POSTED 30 NOV 2020
Data, Analytics & Insight • Permanent (Full Time)
Junior Business Analyst
As an analyst within the growing NPD arm of the Business Science team you will be involved in the development of cutting-edge analytics tools to provide marketing solutions for our clients. With the help of your line manager you will use your programming and statistics background to drive this forward. You will demonstrate a willingness to learn and develop from your colleagues and the ability to put the things you learn into practice.
Who does the role report into?
This role reports to the Senior Analyst or Manager
What are the 3 best things about the job?
- Working on cutting edge programming solutions producing best in market tools & analytics
- Engaging with a great network of internal colleagues and external clients
- Continuous learning, autonomy & room for development with the best in the industry
What are the measures of success?
- Developing and aiding client roll-out of Business Science proprietary built tools.
- Become responsible for maintaining key modules in our tools with your line manager providing guidance on design and best practice and you looking after implementation.
- Train internal & external users on use-cases and offer on-going support
- Write and maintain documentation that accompanies our tools and services
- Experience in using R, and if you’re confident in another language then a desire to learn R to a similar standard
- A beginner-intermediate understanding of how to use Git
- Familiarity with libraries for manipulating and visualising data
- Working on projects using statistical analysis to measure the effect that marketing activity has on sales
- Be able to collect, manipulate and analyse the data used in our projects with the direction of your line manager.
- Demonstrate the ability to be able to apply new analytical techniques in the appropriate setting (you don’t need to be proficient in all data science techniques, but we do want to see you know where and how to use a subset of them)
- Comfortable using calculus, linear algebra and statistics
- Communicating our work
- Presented our work and/or tools internally to colleagues and had a significant input in presentations for external clients.
- Demonstrated an ability to explain often complicated material clearly. Typically, this would be in meetings with clients and/or internal colleagues.
- Contributing to the development of methodological improvements to be adopted by the wider Business Science team
- Able to work as part of a small team with experience using programming to find solutions to problems in the agency and the Business Science team
- Share your experience with our colleagues in Business Science in how to use programming and your data science skillset to create efficient ways of working
What would you expect to achieve in the first three months?
- A broad understanding of the products and services we maintain. The underlying logic of the products we offer and the tools we use to we use to maintain and iterate them.
- Supporting the team in administrative tasks related to running our Shiny applications locally. Primarily installation of the required libraries and how to use the application(s).
- Be a point of contact for supporting internal teams in the use of these tools. We’d expect you would be confident in answering simpler queries yourself and directing more challenging ones to senior team members.
What will you need?
- Strong grasp of R or an equivalent
- Interested in working on product development
- Proactively able to apply your skillsets into media and marketing
- A background in Economics, Maths, Statistics or other numerical subject
- Experience using Shiny, Git and Linux are desirable but not essential
At MediaCom, we believe in People First, Better Results.
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees based in 5 offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
As a business, we champion individuality and diversity in our people. Through a plethora of initiatives, we ensure that we attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry, all working together to create powerful, ground-breaking work through our unique, connected Systems Thinking approach. Our teams use data, technology and creativity to design communications strategies that build brands and generate sales, and we do it at scale. We believe that putting people first produces better results.
We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training, development plans and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. These include Sky, British Gas, Sony, Vauxhall, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company and Tesco.
MediaCom is Campaign’s Agency of the Decade (2009 and 2019), and WARC’s most effective agency in the world.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*