POSTED 26 NOV. 2020
Buying, Trading & Investment • Permanent (Full Time)
AV Associate Director
We’re looking for an Implementational Planning / Investment Associate Director who can run a dedicated team of media specialist, across all AV channels, including TV, Online Video, Addressable TV, OOH TV, Cinema and Radio for some of the UK’s biggest and most forward-thinking advertisers. Direct Line, Tempur and Ryanair will be the key clients, but you will work collaboratively to develop the team who work across all clients within the group, including DFS, Boots, Kwik Fit and Shell.
You will be responsible for managing your clients, developing your direct team and working with the other ADs in the Unit to manage the shape of the team, provide leadership and direction for each of the AV planners in the team.
The Associate Director has responsibility for both the development and quality of output for every member of their team. They must ensure that the team is motivated, challenged and given the right opportunities to develop their video and multimedia knowledge – understanding the role of all AV channels, how they interlink and the role that they can play in a wider multimedia system. A key part of this is regular, honest and structured feedback about every element of their behaviour and performance. You are responsible for their personal development and progression, working with the AV Director.
As Associate Director you will be responsible for all aspects of a group or piece of business. It requires a combination of leadership, communication skills, excellence in AV media and multimedia understanding. Associate Directors are true multimedia specialists, connecting different media channels in a holistic way.
The Associate Director will be responsible for owning the client relationship when it comes to AV. They will be viewed by the client as an AV expert who has an authoritative opinion on both their plans and the wider media market. It is their responsibility to ensure that clients receive market leading levels of service and implementational output. This means that they are accountable for ensuring responses are integrated across all media, have fully justified Implementation stories and are delivering on the KPIs’ set by Planning.
The AD also works with clients and Business Directors to uncover business opportunities that exist outside of – or in conjunction with – ongoing media planning/buying activity. With an AV-specific focus, the AD aims to work with and improve the connected system planning process by uncovering new and innovative areas for clients to focus on.
Client education and thought leadership is a core part of the role: developing a deep understanding of your clients’ business objectives and problems will be essential.
Who does the role report into?
This role is one of two Associate Director roles within one of MediaCom’s internal Business Units. Each of the ADs will report to the Investment Lead and will work together to help run one of the largest AV teams in the agency.
What are the 3 best things about the job?
- MediaCom’s strength has always been our people. This team really reflects that. We’re a tight team working to deliver great data-led work to our clients
- A widely varied client base makes for a great place to grow your career as it gives everyone in the team a real breadth of experience
- An extremely supportive and encouraging leadership team that puts their team’s development first
What would you expect to achieve in the first 3 months?
- Built a strong working relationship with the other AV Planning and Investment ADs and Directors within the group. This will be key – you will be pivotal in creating the right environment for all our planner-buyers to develop, grow and create great work
- Built strong working relationships with all key stakeholders internally and externally – this includes key client contacts, Comms Planners and Investment Leads within our Business Unit
- Gained a good understanding of the client businesses which you will oversee
- Overseen the delivery of all AV plans and responses on time and without errors
- Have a solid grasp of all the commercial aspects of your role (clients’ businesses and ours)
What would you expect to achieve in the first 6 months?
- Implemented a robust test and learn framework for relevant clients in the group to show how our AV planning and buying is pushing their businesses forward (beyond just media metrics)
- Started to demonstrate to your clients an improvement in key business performance metrics
What would you expect to achieve in the first 12 months?
- Delivered stable or improving client referral scores on all your client businesses
- Nurtured a happy and motivated team of AV specialist who have a vision for how their careers can grow
- Delivered demonstrable revenue growth within your group of clients
What will you need?
- Detailed knowledge of the wider business, each division including the benefits and key role they play in making MediaCom a leader
- High degree of commercial awareness including; utilising budgets/spend, fees and allocation of resource
- Ability to identify what ‘the real’ key issues are & find solutions that are a win/win or satisfy both the client/MediaCom agenda
- Actively listens, considers opinions of others
- Composed while under pressure or when facing challenging behaviour, with the ability to turn around difficult situations
- Ability to question and challenge ideas and individuals while maintaining or building a relationship
- Questioning mindset
- Challenges the status quo, anticipates problems, and finds creative solutions
- Develops new ideas that benefit the wider agency
- Not afraid to make tough decisions, using sound reasoning to do so
- Leads by influence and example to inspire and motivate the team
- Multi-media understanding and 360 AV knowledge (all channels)
- Knowledge of industry media planning tools (all media e.g. Techedge, BARB, Media Ocean, TGI, NRS, Comscore, Rajar, Postar)
- Implementational knowledge of multi media planning tools (TGI, Media Multiplier, Touchpoints)
- Pro-actively forge relationships with media owners
- Ability to extract and filter relevant insights / research to support planning decisions
- Ability to tell compelling implementation stories (with the aim to interweave roles, flighting, weights, formats of different media and how they interrelate)
- Genuine interest in industry research and new ways of working
- Strives to deliver award winning work and industry leading innovation
- Understanding of brands and ability to understand and execute strategy
At MediaCom, we believe in People First, Better Results.
MediaCom is the UK’s largest planning and buying agency, with over 1,400 employees based in 5 offices in London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
As a business, we champion individuality and diversity in our people. Through a plethora of initiatives, we ensure that we attract and retain the greatest talent in the industry, all working together to create powerful, ground-breaking work through our unique, connected Systems Thinking approach. Our teams use data, technology and creativity to design communications strategies that build brands and generate sales, and we do it at scale. We believe that putting people first produces better results.
We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training, development plans and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
MediaCom represents some of the greatest brands in the UK and beyond, both big and small. These include Sky, British Gas, Sony, Vauxhall, DFS, TUI, The Coca-Cola Company and Tesco.
MediaCom is Campaign’s Agency of the Decade (2009 and 2019), and WARC’s most effective agency in the world.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*